Tuesday 2 October 2012

Runway Dreamz knocks off Lenni Vintage

Screenshot from Lenni Vintage


This post popped up on my news feed today, and I was so shocked! The site in question here is Runway Dreamz, an incredibly popular retailer of fun and trendy customised shorts. Months ago, while on their site, I saw that they were selling these aztec themed shorts and immediately recognised them as Lenni Vintage shorts. I thought that they must have collaborated with Lenni. As a lover of Lenni for her creative designs, I am shocked to find that she had nothing to do with the shorts available on Runway Dreamz.

Runway Dreamz, while popular, is a small business just like Lenni Vintage. They should be supporting the creativity of other designers in their struggle to compete with brands like Nasty Gal and Urban Outfitters, not ripping of their designs for their own financial gain. 

While Lenni Vintage has no protection in copyright law as the fabric she used was vintage and not designed by her, I still believe that Runway Dreamz should withdraw the shorts from their site to show their respect for other designers running a small business. 

Moreover, Runway Dreamz's choice of fabric and design may amount to design piracy as the shorts are so similar to Lenni Vintage's that it could be argued that they could cause confusion among consumers. I, for one, thought that the shorts where by Lenni.

I have tried my best to contact Runway Dreamz (2 emails and 1 facebook message) to ask for their side of the story, but they have not responded.

What's your view on this issue?

Much love, Bemsy x


No comments:

Post a Comment